We’re looking for someone who is excited to tell stories through design. Someone who loves to dig into reports, cultivate breakthrough insights, and then turn them into creative and compelling visuals. Someone who has a gift for making complicated concepts easy to understand and beautifully presented.
If that sounds like you, then keep reading…
Who You Are
Passionate & Driven. You don’t end up in a creative industry unless you do what you love. But even with passion and talent, design is a labor of love.
Reliable & Consistent. You pride yourself on being reliable, consistent, and trustworthy. You get excited to share your design ideas and always exceed expectations.
Curious & Eager to Learn. You know you won’t get far if you don’t have a love of art and an interest in the data that drives the world around you. You enjoy looking beyond the surface of things, to explore both the minute details and the big picture. You think it is best to keep growing and seeking new inspiration.
Open-minded & Willing to Try New Things. You are comfortable taking advice from unexpected sources. You share a piece of yourself in your work, but are not afraid to expose yourself and wear your heart on your sleeve.
Eager to Give & Receive Feedback. You are a strong yet humble communicator and appreciate thoughtful direction that helps improve your work. You believe feedback aids a process and produces positive results in the end.
Problem Solver & Creative Thinker. As well as the aesthetic aspect of design, you enjoy the problem-solving side just as much. You love mixing data with design and you think critically to make things work. You understand creativity is needed not only to produce something brilliant, but also to work out how the pieces fit together in a finished product.
A Great Communicator. You get excited about communicating a strong brand and love ideating new ways to improve it.
Who You Probably Are Not
- Someone who likes to work alone
- Someone who prefers to work in pre-made templates instead of creating designs from scratch
- Someone who easily tires from data analysis
What You Love
- Brainstorming new and innovative ideas to tell a story through graphic design
- Taking complicated data points and turning them into easy-to-understand concepts with very few words
- A creative approach to data-driven design
- Absorbing unfamiliar information to learn new things
- Using typography, color, and layouts to create modern, visually appealing designs
- Creating design plans before you get started on a project, beginning with the end in mind
How You Might Spend Your Days at KCM
KCM is a small business, so you’ll likely get your hands dirty in a bit of everything. That said, here are some things you’ll take the lead on:
- Infographic Design & Development
- Social Media Content Design & Development
- eGuide Template Design & Development
- Animated Video Design & Development
- Reading articles and reports that will inform your work
- Additional Graphic Design projects for the Content Team
- 3-5+ Years of professional design experience producing high-quality work in a fast-paced environment with daily deadlines (Portfolio samples of your work product required)
- A demonstrated ability to analyze data from an industry article or report, extract key insights, and translate into an easy-to-understand infographic
- Proficient with the Adobe Creative Suite; mastery of Illustrator and Photoshop
- Detail-oriented in proofing, editing, and ensuring content precision
- Fluency with social media platforms and creating relevant content
- Ability to conceptualize compelling creative concepts within brand standards
- Ability to effectively self-manage to meet daily content deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, specifically PowerPoint and Excel
- A social media presence, or one that you’ve developed for another employer, ideally on Instagram
- 4-year degree or professional certificate in graphic design or another relevant major
- Experience working in video software, such as PowToon
The Whole Package
- Location: Richmond, VA
- Compensation: $60,000 – $70,000 based on experience
- Health insurance with employee premiums 100% covered
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to 3% of salary and bonus (and immediate vesting)
- Annual budget to purchase books and educational subscriptions
- Unlimited vacation policy (plus we insist you take at least 2 weeks off each year – this isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation).
- Work with amazing people. We only hire people who lead, own, and exceed in everything they do.
What We Do at KCM
For the past 13 years, KCM has been partnering with real estate agents to help families as they go through the home buying and selling process. We do this by helping agents better understand what’s happening in the overall real estate market so they can communicate the impact it has on their clients.
We believe every family should feel confident when buying and selling a home.
We believe in education. It’s the responsibility of a real estate professional to educate and serve their clients so that they can make confident and powerful decisions they feel good about.
We believe the best way to help families is to understand what’s happening in the market, why it’s happening, how it impacts consumers, and how to effectively communicate this information.
Who We Are at KCM
KCM is a pretty awesome place to work. In each of the last 5 years, we were honored to be recognized as one of the greatest places to work by Great Place to Work (https://www.greatplacetowork.com/certified-company/1421922).
Working with the KCM Crew feels like you’re getting paid to hang out with friends. We definitely work hard and will challenge the best from you, but we’re more like family and friends than “office co-workers.” If you’re looking for a fun, exciting, challenging work environment, then KCM may be the place for you. You will be challenged, you will be pushed to grow, and we hope you will push us forward as well.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jumpstart the process, we ask a few questions we would normally ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and helps us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Make sure to answer each question.
Then, just wait for us to reply. It can take some time to read through all the applications, but we do read all of them and we reply to everyone, even if it doesn’t seem like a great fit.
We’re excited and look forward to hearing from you soon!