Blog
This blog is available in English or Spanish:

Selling Your Home? The Importance of Using a Real Estate Professional

Agents, did you know you can share a personalized version of this post? Learn more!

Selling Your Home? The Importance of Using a Real Estate Professional | Keeping Current Matters

When a homeowner decides to sell their house, they obviously want the best possible price with the least amount of hassles. However, for the vast majority of sellers, the most important result is to actually get the home sold.

In order to accomplish all three goals, a seller should realize the importance of using a real estate professional. We realize that technology has changed the purchaser’s behavior during the home buying process. For the past three years, 92% of all buyers have used the internet in their home search according to the National Association of Realtors’ most recent Profile of Home Buyers & Sellers.

However, the report also revealed that 95% percent of buyers that used the internet when searching for a home purchased their home through either a real estate agent/broker or from a builder or builder’s agent. Only 2% purchased their home directly from a seller whom the buyer didn’t know.

Buyers search for a home online but then depend on an agent to find the actual home they will buy (53%) or negotiate the terms of the sale & price (48%) or understand the process (60%).

The plethora of information now available has resulted in an increase in the percentage of buyers that reach out to real estate professionals to “connect the dots”. This is obvious, as the percentage of overall buyers who used an agent to buy their home has steadily increased from 69% in 2001.

Bottom Line

If you are thinking of selling your home, don’t underestimate the role a real estate professional can play in the process.

Not a Member Yet? Click Here to learn more about KCM's newest feature, Personalized Posts.

Have You Set Up Personalized Posts Yet? | Keeping Current Matters

About The KCM Crew

We at The KCM Crew believe every family should feel confident when buying & selling a home. KCM helps real estate professionals reach these families & enables the agent to simply & effectively explain a complex housing market. Take a 14-Day Free Trial of our monthly membership to see how we can help you!

12 Responses to “Selling Your Home? The Importance of Using a Real Estate Professional”

1. Braden Bills February 29, 2016 at 11:18 am # Reply

I think that it’s very important to hire a real estate agent when you plan on selling your home. It’s pretty important to make sure you get the best price, but the most important thing is actually getting the home sold. The vast majority of people use real estate brokers to find a home to buy. Thanks for the article!

2. April Cook May 9, 2016 at 1:51 pm # Reply

I’m thinking of selling my home and was wondering if I really needed to use a real estate agent. After reading this I will definitely go with a professional. I need someone who, like you mentioned, knows the process and can negotiate for me. Thanks for the information!

3. Nash Rich May 13, 2016 at 7:47 pm # Reply

I can believe that almost all buyers have been using the internet to do their shopping. I don’t think I would do it the old fashion way. It makes sense to me that a real estate agent mixed in with the internet shopping, would be the most efficient way to go. You can check out a lot of stuff, and have a professional help.

4. Kyle O'Ren May 25, 2016 at 9:23 am # Reply

You’re so right that above anything else when you’re selling a home you just want it to get sold regardless of hassle or pricing. I’ve tried selling on my own and it never seemed to work out for me. I think bringing on a real estate professional is always worth the cost because it takes a lot of the weight off of your shoulders.

5. Jorge McMillan June 6, 2016 at 9:34 am # Reply

I’ve heard that hardest part to selling a home isn’t necessarily the pricing, but the actual selling of the home itself. That is why, like you mentioned, it is vital to hire a real estate professional that knows what they are doing and can make sure that both of those areas are covered. I’m not moving anytime soon, but I see the importance of the real estate agents and I plan on hiring one whenever it is I do move.

6. John Carston June 22, 2016 at 10:32 am # Reply

I agree that in order to sell a home at the best possible price and as fast as possible it would require a real estate professional. The stats you provided that 95% of home buyers that used the internet for purchasing a home bought a house through a real estate agent seems to really drive home that point. My parents have tried to sell their home by themselves and it seems to have just prolonged the selling process.

7. property management July 25, 2016 at 6:21 am # Reply

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally
    I’ve found something that helped me. Kudos!

8. Kendall Ryder July 29, 2016 at 11:57 am # Reply

I like that realtors know the area and know what homes are on the market. That way, you don’t have to do the searching, but they can! Searching for homes can be a hassle and a stressful thing. I like that I can put my trust in a realtor and just be guided to the homes to check them out.

9. Derek Mcdoogle August 19, 2016 at 7:34 pm # Reply

My brother has been trying to sell his home but hasn’t really come close to completing the sale. You mentioned that 95 percent of buyers that used the internet when searching for a home purchased their home through either a real estate agent of from a builder. Do most agents have different internet marketing techniques that they use to sell a house? It looks like hiring an agent might be the best way to sell his home.

10. Jasmine Vanasselt August 27, 2016 at 3:19 am # Reply

The professionals are here for a reason. Great post!

• Josh Kindlesparker November 22, 2016 at 2:51 pm # Reply

There are many agents that do not act like professionals. Show that you know what you are talking about, are trustworthy and willing to work you can succeed.

11. Dennis Sanchez November 16, 2016 at 12:47 pm # Reply

You mentioned in your article that people looking for homes used the internet to look for a home, but that a majority used an agent to help them “connect the dots” and help them find their dream home. My college buddy has been rather reluctant to hire an agent to help him find a home. Like you mentioned, I think it helps to have an expert help you find exactly what you want, and get the best deal possible on that home. His casual real estate knowledge doesn’t compare to a professional, so I’ll help him look for a good agent to work with. Thanks for the great article.