Two Great Reasons to Buy not Rent

Two Great Reasons to Buy not Rent

There are many young people debating whether they should renew the lease on their apartment or sign a contract to purchase their first home. Based on a recent study, here are two reasons buying a home might make more sense:

Two Great Reasons to Buy not Rent | Keeping Current Matters

Two Great Reasons to Buy not Rent | Keeping Current Matters

Have You Set Up Personalized Posts Yet? | Keeping Current Matters

1. realist
    realist says:

“Percent of income owners expect to pay” as if mortgage is the only expense that owners have. Principal & Interest are not the only expenses. There’s also property taxes, insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc. When you take into account those expenses, the percent of income is equal or greater than renters.

Whoops! Conveniently forgot about that fact. Then again, they want to sell houses, not caring about the truth.

• Steve Harney
      Steve Harney says:

To the realist,

What is the research showing that owners pay more or equal to renters?

BTW, there is no one at KCM that lists or sells homes for a living. There are only two who ever even held a real estate license and both retired 10 years ago.

• Sheila
      Sheila says:

They also forgot to mention the tax perks of home ownership, and the investment into one’s own future rather than the landlord.

You may want to do some research because the information in my area is more aligned with the article. As for wanting to sell homes, they ARE selling, no trickery needed.

2. Cody
    Cody says:

I own my home and as it may differ depending on where you live I pay much lower percentage owning my home then renting. My mortgage, property tax, plus all other taxes, insurance and HOA fees all add up to a monthly payment of less then $1,100 a month – I have 1800 square feet house with two baths, 3 bedrooms, and a two car garage and it’s also only 3 years old. When I compare to a two bedroom apartment in the area with no garage – the average rent is $1,400. Now we could live in a more dangerous older apartment and that rent average for a two bedroom is $900. So if you add in safety which I do because I have two sons and a wife – plus the fact your money is actually going toward something as an investment – I would buy any day. My house is now worth $10,000 more then we paid for it, you can’t get this back when you rent – well unless you have one high security deposit lol.

3. Bill Cunningham
    Bill Cunningham says:

Another of the many advantages of home ownership versus renting are the tax breaks homeowners receive in the form of property taxes and Mortgage interest being tax deductible. We are definitely in a market currently where ownership makes more sense than renting.

4. Robert
    Robert says:

I wonder if the same advice would hold true in Southern California or any other high cost of living area. It appears like many details were left out of this article and study.