, , ,

6 Reasons You’ll Win by Selling with a Real Estate Agent This Fall

6 Reasons You’ll Win by Selling with a Real Estate Agent This Fall

There are many benefits to working with a real estate professional when selling your house. During challenging times, like what we face today, it becomes even more important to have an expert you trust to help guide you through the process. If you’re considering selling on your own, known in the industry as a For Sale by Owner (FSBO), it’s critical to consider the following:

1. Your Safety Is a Priority

Your family’s safety should always come first, and that’s more crucial than ever given the current health situation in our country. When you FSBO, it is incredibly difficult to control entry into your home. A real estate professional will have the proper protocols in place to protect not only your belongings but your family’s health and well-being too. From regulating the number of people in your home at one time to ensuring proper sanitization during and after a showing, and even facilitating virtual tours for buyers, real estate professionals are equipped to follow the latest industry standards recommended by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) to help protect you and your family.

2. A Powerful Online Strategy Is a Must to Attract a Buyer

Recent studies from NAR have shown that, even before COVID-19, the first step 44% of all buyers took when looking for a home was to search online. Throughout the process, that number jumps to 93%. Today, those numbers have grown exponentially. Most real estate agents have developed a strong Internet and social media strategy to promote the sale of your house. Have you?

3. There Are Too Many Negotiations

Here are just a few of the people you’ll need to negotiate with if you decide to FSBO:

• The buyer, who wants the best deal possible
  • The buyer’s agent, who solely represents the best interest of the buyer
  • The inspection companies, which work for the buyer and will almost always find challenges with the house
  • The appraiser, if there is a question of value

As part of their training, agents are taught how to negotiate every aspect of the real estate transaction and how to mediate the emotions felt by buyers looking to make what is probably the largest purchase of their lives.

4. You Won’t Know if Your Purchaser Is Qualified for a Mortgage

Having a buyer who wants to purchase your house is the first step. Making sure they can afford to buy it is just as important. As a FSBO, it’s almost impossible to be involved in the mortgage process of your buyer. A real estate professional is trained to ask the appropriate questions and, in most cases, will be intimately aware of the progress being made toward a purchaser’s mortgage commitment.

Further complicating the situation is how the current mortgage market is rapidly evolving because of the number of families out of work and in mortgage forbearance. A loan program that was available yesterday could be gone tomorrow. You need someone who is working with lenders every day to guarantee your buyer makes it to the closing table.

5. FSBOing Has Become More Difficult from a Legal Standpoint

The documentation involved in the selling process has increased dramatically as more and more disclosures and regulations have become mandatory. In an increasingly litigious society, the agent acts as a third-party to help the seller avoid legal jeopardy. This is one of the major reasons why the percentage of people FSBOing has dropped from 19% to 8% over the last 20+ years.

6. You Net More Money When Using an Agent

Many homeowners believe they’ll save the real estate commission by selling on their own. Realize that the main reason buyers look at FSBOs is because they also believe they can save the real estate agent’s commission. The seller and buyer can’t both save on the commission.

A study by Collateral Analytics revealed that FSBOs don’t actually save anything by forgoing the help of an agent. In some cases, the seller may even net less money from the sale. The study found the difference in price between a FSBO and an agent-listed home was an average of 6%. One of the main reasons for the price difference is effective exposure:

“Properties listed with a broker that is a member of the local MLS will be listed online with all other participating broker websites, marketing the home to a much larger buyer population. And those MLS properties generally offer compensation to agents who represent buyers, incentivizing them to show and sell the property and again potentially enlarging the buyer pool.”

The more buyers that view a home, the greater the chance a bidding war will take place.

Bottom Line

Listing on your own leaves you to manage the entire transaction by yourself. Why do that when you can hire an agent and still net the same amount of money? Before you decide to take on the challenge of selling your house alone, reach out to a local real estate professional to discuss your options.

1. Alice Carroll
    Alice Carroll says:

You made a good point that working with a residential real estate agent would mean that I can get help for the negotiations needed for it. I’m considering to hire one in order to find a new home for my family because I’d prefer to have a larger one for the sake of my two children. Afterwards, I’d also like to sell the house we would be moving out from.

2. Jonathan Hansen
    Jonathan Hansen says:

Thanks for pointing out that a real estate agent can negotiate a good deal for you when you want to sell your home. I’m thinking about selling my house this year, so using a real estate agent sounds like a good idea. I’m going to search for a good real estate agent in my area to hire.

3. Nelson Fogerty
    Nelson Fogerty says:

Thank you for mentioning that a real estate agent can do the negotiating for you when you want to sell your house. My wife and I are thinking about putting our home on the market soon, so we are thinking about hiring a real estate agent to help us. I’m going to look for a good real estate agent in the area that we can use.

4. Bob Newton
    Bob Newton says:

It’s valuable that you mention that a professional real estate agent can do the negotiating for you when you are selling a house. I want to sell my home before the end of this year, so I’m considering hiring a real estate agent to help me. I’m going to see if there’s a good real estate agent in the area that I can use.

5. Zoe Campos
    Zoe Campos says:

My favorite part of the article is where you mentioned that a real estate agent can ensure if proper protocols will be observed during the home-selling process. We have already moved out of the property but we want to ensure that we won’t allow access to anyone who might be infected with COVID-19. I’ll follow your advice and work with a real estate professional who can help me gain profit from our old home.

6. Alec Burns
    Alec Burns says:

It’s interesting that you mention that a real estate agent can help you with the negotiations when you want to sell your house. I’m thinking about selling my home this year, so using a real estate agent sounds like it’ll make things a lot easier for me. I’m going to search for a good real estate agent in my area that I can use.

7. Conrad O'Connor
    Conrad O'Connor says:

It’s cool that this article points out that a real estate agent can negotiate for you when you want to sell your house. My wife and I want to sell our home this year, so hiring a real estate agent sounds like a great idea. I’m going to look for a good real estate agent in the area that can help us sell our home.

8. maallik pvt
    maallik pvt says:

Thanks for remarking that a true realtor can negotiate an honest deal for you once you want to sell your home. I’m brooding about selling my house this year, so employing a land agent seems like an honest idea. I’m getting to look for an honest land agent in my area to rent .

9. Chris Pederson
    Chris Pederson says:

Managing my house and selling it by myself sounds like a disaster. I would rather spend some money to have a real estate agent help me out. I know I’ll mess up the process somehow and regret it later on.

10. Kishore Reddy
    Kishore Reddy says:

Good article by “keeping current matters”, When selling a home, it’s important to remember that a professional property manager can handle the negotiating for you. I’m going to look around to see if there’s a good real estate agent in the area.

11. Clic Aquí
    Clic Aquí says:

A todos nos ha pasado que llega en un momento específico en el cual nos aburrimos del acomodo ordinario de nuestra casa y nos urge un cambio por pequeño que sea. Tal necesidad se convierte en una gran oportunidad para renovarnos y darle un contraste a nuestro entorno.

12. Thomson Smith
    Thomson Smith says:

It’s awesome that you point out that a real estate agent can help you find a buyer for your home. I’d like to sell my house soon, so I’m considering hiring a real estate agent to help me. I’m going to look for a reliable real estate agent in the area that can help me sell my home.

13. Leasehold
    Leasehold says:

I am currently looking for tips for selling my house. Thanks for your guide! I like that you mentioned about the things that I must check such as the Purchaser Is Qualified for a Mortgage and other thing you mention on your blog post. I appreciate your content and thanks for solving my problem. Thank you!

14. Max Jones
    Max Jones says:

Thanks for explaining that it is possible to net more money when using a real estate agent because then can help you with exposure. My parents want to sell their home now that they are both retired, and they want to get a good price so they can put the money towards owning a smaller home. I’ll tell them to consider getting help from a real estate agent.

15. Chris Pederson
    Chris Pederson says:

I agree that both the buyer and seller can’t save on commission. Also, having a real estate agent help you out will help make the process a lot easier. I’d rather just save myself that hassle and give commission to a good real esate agent.

16. Chance Cook
    Chance Cook says:

I want to hire someone who understands real estate because they’ll know what questions to ask. I would get my words all jumbled up. But they’d be cool under pressure and could make a great deal.